In September of last year, Mojang announced their partnership with UN Habitat for a project called "Block by Block". J!NX wants to contribute, so we're working with the Mojang Team to put together a Minecraft Calendar, with proceeds going to benefit the "Block by Block" program. But if we're going to do this right then we need the community's help!
We look to you, stout miners, to muster your artistic skills and help us come up with pretty pictures to fill our calendar. We want to keep it fresh and light-hearted, so base your drawing or painting around this idea:
What's the funniest thing that has
happened to you in Minecraft?
Your design should illustrate the fun, the exploration, the endless possibilities and the never-ending adventure that defines the spirit of Minecraft. Your artwork will be seen by Minecraft fans from all over the world, and it will support a great cause at the same time, so try hard and make something awesome! Here's how:
Submissions will be accepted until Friday, February 8, 2013 11:59 PM PST. Voting will commence the evening of Tuesday February 12, and runs through Wednesday, February 20. The winning designs will be announced between March 6 and March 13, pending responses from the winners.
Twelve (12) total winners will be selected, one for each month.
- Glow in the Dark Creeper Vinyl Autographed by Notch and Jens!
- $500 Cash!
- $500 J!NX Gift Certificate
Submissions due February 8, 2013 11:59 PM PST
Submission requires two images: a small GIF thumbnail (150 x 150 pixels), and the main display image, which should be exactly 900 pixels wide and 900 pixels tall. The main image should be in JPG format. Once you have created and sized your images, use the submission form to submit your design.
Although you will be submitting your art at a lower resolution - 72 dpi (dots per inch) for web - you will want to create your art at 300 dpi, 11.75" x 11.75" with a 1/8" bleed on all sides. Printed "live" area is 11.5" x 11.5". If you win, we will request the high resolution version. Be creative and have fun.
You may submit more than one entry. Online entries only, hard copies not accepted. You must be a member of J!NX to enter. Membership is free and only takes a minute.
We know how everyone loves fine print, so be sure to Read the Official Rules!
Winning entries will be selected via a combination of public votes plus J!NX and Mojang's input. Submissions will be screened by the J!NX and Mojang creative teams. Upon approval, submissions will be posted on the Minecraft Calendar Design Contest page for public voting. Public voting will run from February 12th, 2013 to February 20, 2013.
What to do:
- Download our Design Kit template file and open it in Photoshop.
- Create an original design from the ground up.
- Please use only original art that you created.
Art should be created at a minimum of 300 dpi.
11.75" x 11.75" with a 1/8" bleed on all sides. Printed "live" area is 11.5" x 11.5.
- Please include layers in your final art (do not flatten).
- Your final artwork should be a CMYK Photoshop or Illustrator file.
- Save two smaller snapshots of your design, one at 900x900 and a thumbnail at 150x150.
- Submit your design!
- Encourage every single person you know (and even some you don't) to vote for your design!
WHAT NOT TO DO:
- Take a screen shot and just paste it onto the template.
- Swipe someone else’s art and use it as your own. You might think we won’t find out,
but we will.
- This includes images and characters from other games, movies, books, etc.
- Use blood/gore/over-the-top violence/nudity in your images. This is a family game, so be tasteful, but still be funny.