Matt “Skydog” Gailey is the Emperor of Technology here at J!NX who spends
his days designing and coding the website and maintaining all the computers
at the J!NX Fortress. He’s had a love for gaming consoles since he first
hooked up the Magnavox Odyssey 2 back in the 70’s right up through the
modding of his OG Xbox. After spending a number of years reading, writing
and teaching Philosophy he finally found his home with the J!NX family
and has never looked back.
Ever since he read Tolkien in grade school Skydog has been fascinated
with high fantasy and sword and sorcery. Naturally he progressed into
the role playing world of Dungeons & Dragons. Today, if he isn’t
busy sifting through photos of J!NX minions for Skydog’s Pic of the Week
there is no doubt you will find him online bettering his troll priest
alter ego Swampy. Ya Mon.
- I have a 1 year old black Labrador named Cassidy. She is named after
the Grateful Dead song or Neal Cassady (I had to pick one spelling).
- I named my 13 year old female cat Zeno after the male pre-Socratic Greek
philosopher who was famous for his paradox’s that were meant to prove that
motion is just an illusion.
- I talk to my dog and cat and I’m pretty certain that they understand
every word I say and then communicate back to me telepathically.
- I’ve always been passionate about music. I own two guitars, a set of
congas and 2 Technics SL-1200 turntables with a ton of vinyl records. I
have spent countless hours creating digital music on the computer, playing
guitar, beating on the drums and spinning records. One of my dirty little
geek secrets is that I don’t like guitar hero or rock band.
- I have a master’s degree in philosophy and didn’t take a single computer
science course in all my years of college even though my current profession
has me administering servers and workstations and coding websites and databases.
- “In the Aeroplane Over the Sea” by Neutral Milk Hotel is the best 45
minutes of music ever recorded.
- I spend entirely too much time playing, talking about and researching
this silly game called World of Warcraft. If I worked as hard on my RL
character as I did on my WoW character I’d be rich and famous.
- I spent all my summer vacations when I was an undergrad following the
Grateful Dead from city to city. I was upset when Jerry Garcia died and
I still have hundreds of bootleg dead shows on cassette tape.
- I’ve only been to Europe once for two weeks. I was able to see Paris,
Bruges, Amsterdam, Baden Baden, Prague and some small town in Switzerland.
I really need to do more travelling.
- I spent a year living in a cabin up on Mt. Baldy outside of Los Angeles
at about 5000 feet above sea level. The cabin had no heat except for a
wood burning stove. Best year of my life.
- A couple dirty little geek secrets of mine are that I have never read
comic books and I don’t collect action figures.
- I am a baseball fanatic. I listen to baseball games every day all summer
long. I spend countless hours pouring over my fantasy baseball team statistics,
and I will go to my grave a diehard Cleveland Indians fan even though they
have never won a World Series title in my lifetime.
- I love pencil and paper fantasy role-playing games like Dungeons and
Dragons. I have always enjoyed the role playing, exploring and puzzle solving
aspects of this type of gaming far more then the combat. I prepared countless
dungeons and keeps as the DM for Windminstal and Jinx when we were kids.
- I was an OG Halo junkie, I do enjoy a good FPS, but I prefer more RPG
oriented video games.
- Jinx and I used to play MUD’s (text based multi-user dungeons) together
back in college just as the interwebz started to boom. My imagination still
far exceeds the best video game graphics to date. The MUD world I imagined
still feels more real to me then, say, Azeroth.
- Jumping out of an airplane with a parachute is the most memorable and
adrenaline producing experience of my life.
- I refuse to use Window’s Vista, and I feel that I am in good company
with my decision.
- I love movies. I watch them over and over again and enjoy them each time,
much like I continue to enjoy looking at a good painting, listening to
good music, or any other form of art.
- I spent many years obsessed with philosophical questions until I read
Philosophical Investigations by Ludwig Wittgenstein.
- I have always been interested in human consciousness and feel like it
came into existence around the same time that we began to record human
history. I think that human consciousness evolved and that at one time
the human race was not aware of its own existence, much the same way a
dog is not capable of contemplating the history of canines. My question
about consciousness is “why did consciousness in humans evolve?”
- One of my biggest pet peeves in gaming is when someone I am playing with
cannot setup their voice chat software correctly and you can’t hear them
when they talk. L2Vent Nub!
- My favorite sports video game of all time is Tecmo Bowl for the NES.
- Saturday morning cartoons were always my favorite form of television
growing up and to this day I rarely enjoy anything on television that is
not a cartoon. Yeah, I hate reality TV.
- I prefer reading science fiction novels and my favorite author is Philip
K. Dick, especially his Valis trilogy.
- Working at J!NX is easily the best job I have ever had and probably the
best job on the planet. We spend our days talking about and promoting things
that we love to do.
Havoc, Jinx and Skydog at Soda Bar
The inception of Skydog Records.
Skydog grew a Moustachio head.
It used to be cool to dye your hair, honest.
Skydog and the Holy Grail.
I can’t stand it, I know you planned it.
My Daily links I visit:
JINX - Shadow Priest